Monday, January 2, 2012

Wisconsin Love Affair #2: Hook's 15-Year Cheddar

I hit a giant and stupid wall of writer's block just a little while ago, while at the same time being unable to figure out how to transfer some pictures from my Google+ affected Picasa account to my stupid desktop. So annoying. It was a really frustrating moment, so instead of throwing my computer on the ground and screaming, I decided to stop myself and close that blog window. Totally not worth it.

Disclaimer: Before I decided to chill the hell out, I angrily deleted my stupid Google+ profile and my Picasa albums were once again perfect and usable. Stupid Google+. What's the point? I actually like facebook. Yesterday an old co-worker found a stray dog near her house and posted a picture, then a few of us in the neighborhood reposted, and THEN the dog's owner saw it and went and got his dog back! Internet! FACEBOOK! Tomorrow, I probably won't care, but for now, giant sucks to Google+ and applause for facebook.

Anyhow. Instead of making myself crazy by trying to finish the other thing I was writing, I decided to take a break...by posting a blog. Whaaaa?! Relax - it's another blog of food pictures. You should be used to this by now. For Christmas this year, my lovely boyfriend got me some beautiful, thoughtful, and amazing gifts. As we were exchanging a couple of days before Christmas, he confessed that he was nervous he'd gotten me too many food-related gifts. Immediately after, he handed me these:

That would be ice wine and Hook's 15-year cheddar cheese, made right here in Wisconsin. Holy crap, boyfriend. Holy crap.

You should definitely take the time to read about both the wine and the cheese, because they're both very unique and wonderful, and I've been talking about them for months, apparently (maybe I was subtly hinting at what I wanted as a gift, eh?). Honestly, I haven't tried the wine yet, but I have tried the cheese. Oh lord, have I tried the cheese. Andy and I rang in the popular holiday of December 31st at midnight by opening the cheese and sampling some. And it was amazing.

He cuts things very carefully.








We ate it plain, off the cutting board. Andy went through a lot of emotions, including disbelief...

"I need a rest..."

And, finally, peacefulness.
I think he nearly cried at one point. I just kept repeating "I'm so happy! I'm SO happy!" By the by, he's wearing his swimming trunks because it was really hot in my apartment.

What a bunch of nerds, eh?

7 comments:

SophisticatedBrew said...

I love it. I love the pics. I love that cheese!

Reem Tara said...

I forgot to send some with you! Boooo!

Layla said...

Is this the Cheese we had last Winter?? If so, I remember how YUMMY it was! (PS I recall your blog notes where people are posting from....did it make a note that this comment was posted from Florence, Italy?!?!? - because it was!!

Tara said...

I'm so glad you explained the shorts.
I want to try this wine!

Also, ok what is up with google+ and picasa, my photos are ALL GONE because I tried to delete google+, booo!

Anna said...

This is what I missed. This is what BARRY missed. Also, I had no idea of the Linz - Muppet relationship, and I totes shoulda gone with you guys. I'm a wet blanket.

BUT, on the other hand, I'm so happy you had a wonderful nude year!!

Sara Ashes said...

I think I might have your boyfriend's swim trunks when I was in 5th grade- except I wore them as SHORTS and I think called them "jams". Omg. He looks much better in them than I did.

Reem Tara said...

Layla, it says France!!?? And actually, this cheese is 5 years older. =)

Tara, we'll talk about this. I don't get it. Google+ did nothing good for me. Booo!

Anna, this actually happened the night before NYE. But we did put out little samples at my party...also, I'd probably go see the muppet movie again if the price is right, i.e. when it's at the cheap theater.

Sara, I'd like to see a picture of that.