Friday, February 26, 2010

Daffodils

February 23rd is a special day this year. It's the first day I buy daffodils. Daffodils have been my favorite flower since I was 7 or 8, I think. In my adult life, I have grown to appreciate others, namely irises, red & yellow (together) tulips, amaryllises, among others. But daffodils will always be in my top five.

Although I live in Wisconsin and the winters are long and usually stretch into late March/early April, the small pot of daffodils in my living room is a little reminder that there is an end to the cold and snow. It can't last forever; daffodils need to grow.

I open the blinds at night before I go to sleep so the flowers can see the sun, which rises hours and hours before I do.


And the next morning, they're almost all open.


They look like sharp baby birds


I love that I can look back at my blog entries from just about a year ago and see such similar and beautiful things that were in my life. In fact, when I listed my favorite flowers a second ago, I hadn't yet looked at these pictures. But in glancing through my blog entries and pictures, I found...

The irises

The charming cousin of the daffodil?

The red and yellow tulips

The amaryllis

And my lovely daffodils.

3 comments:

jx said...

oh, is that chai tea in the last photo? what a lovely morning.

Reem Tara said...

It's actually regular coffee, but it looks really creamy, doesn't it? Thanks for the comments - you're lovely!

Layla said...

Hi Fabulous! I was inspired by this post and my Mother who also bought Daffodils the other day to by myself some last night. They were all closed last night and this morning I woke up to most of the blooming!! Love them! hey are a lovely addition to the Kitchen table right now! :) Thanks for the idea.