Friday, February 6, 2009

So Stupid...and So Worth It

My father loves the classics. He loves Casablanca, he loves old Clint Eastwood westerns, and he loves The Godfather, quoting the Corleones at family dinners. His appreciation for these movies is apparent on his face as he watches. It's like clockwork - they'll say "that one line" that everybody knows, or the mob scene around the table will happen, and he'll get this slow, pleased smile on his face. He'll turn to whoever is watching with him and say "You know, this is great." It's like he's been waiting for this moment, and now that it has happened, it was all he could have ever expected it to be.

My father also loves some of the stupidest movies ever made. I really mean it. Spaceballs, Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, The Naked Gun Trilogy...all totally stupid movies. And he loves them all. He'll admit it though; one of his catch phrases is (while chuckling) "this is so stupid." But he still watches them. I remember talking to him one Sunday evening - he was frustrated because he'd had so much work to do during the day, but he didn't do any of it because he got sucked into watching "this stupid movie with these two idiots" with Emil. "Are you talking about Dumb and Dumber?" I asked. "This is the one! So stupid. I can't believe I watched the whole thing...but it's really funny, you know?" It's as if he can't not watch it. And as stupid as all of these movies are, he loves watching them. He may not admit it, but I know.

The reason I feel so confident in that analysis is because I'm the same way. I mean, I don't love Dumb and Dumber, but give me any of the Naked Gun movies any day. The use of dummies, especially in the first one, is brilliant. I can't get enough of the dummies. Oh god, dummies!! I found myself thinking about stupid movies a lot yesterday morning. I had the morning off, as I do many mornings, and I actually didn't have work to do, didn't feel like playing music, was not motivated to clean or do laundry, and was too lazy to go to the gym. What else is there to do on a Thursday morning? The answer: make a lot of food and watch a movie.

Those of you who have known me for awhile probably know how seldom I watch movies, especially new movies I've never seen before. It's not that I don't like them; I just think sometimes I don't have the attention span for an hour and a half of something new. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but waa waa, it's true. My BFF Sarah sent me three movies starring my future husband, Jack Black, for Christmas this year: School of Rock, Nacho Libre, and Orange County. I almost put on School of Rock, which I've seen numerous times, but then a flash of adventure shot through me. "Why not make it a new movie?" I thought to myself. "It is a Thursday morning! ADVENTURE!" That's right. So it was between Nacho Libre and Orange County. What to watch, what to watch. Oh wait! Does anybody think I should watch a movie about WRESTLING?? I mean, it's not like I've been obsessing about it or anything, right? I promptly put in Nacho Libre.

Man, I loved this movie. Yes, I am extremely biased, what with my husband starring, but really, it was pretty fantastic. It's Jack Black, and it's wrestling. Mexican Wrestling. And also, there's a chubby kid who has an accent. And Jack Black sings a couple of songs. And no, there are no dummies, but still. It was damn good. To be honest, I didn't pay attention at all the parts, but really, this was a hilarious movie. It was really stupid, and I found myself saying that out loud, which was what prompted me to think about my father. Although our definition of "stupid movies" may be different, we're similar in our needs, desires, excitement about watching stupid movies. Who needs Al Pacino in a suit when you can have Jack Black in wrestling tights? Or Jeff Daniels on a toilet, in my father's case.

Fantastic Thursday morning. I may make this a regular thing. Stay classy, Dad.



Three asides:

1. The food I made (not to be eaten all at once - just to have around the house): hummus, butternut squash, egg salad with not a lot of yolk. Delicious.

2. Everytime I read an article in a magazine or online about Jack Black and his wife is mentioned, I get really mad and often can't finish the article. Sometimes because I've thrown the magazine across the room. I'm so pissed that he's married to her. I mean, how obvious is it that I'm supposed to end up with Jack Black?? Come on! I get so mad...

3. My last blog, the one about Ring of Honor, got linked to by this lovely guy Bryan Alvarez who runs a big online wrestling newsletter, and the number of hits has gone up insanely. Check it out! Thank you Bryan!

5 comments:

Bea said...

Yes! Way to score a hit-increasing link! I have to confess that I didn't read Ring of Honor yet because I haven't had the chunk of time that it deserved for a true read. But I have that chunk right about now and I'm going to tackle it :) Anyway, I think there is definitely a place for stupid movies... Did you ever see Top Secret with Val Kilmer? I wasn't a fan, but I think it would be right up your alley... (Also, did you catch Jack Black's "guest appearance" on The Office?)

SophisticatedBrew said...

oh man. stupid movies rule. i'm glad you liked nacho libre. i haven't seen it myself. but i figured, jack black is jack black! and right on Bea with Jack Black on the Office! So brilliant. He's in a movie kind of like Harold and Maude and makes out with a very old woman. Hilarious but still you never feel like Jack Black is being over the top. He really seems in love with this elderly woman. Because he's sensitive like that.
btw, i'm semi-watching BeerFest on tv right now. and gonna blog about it. bff!

jx said...

i'm sad for you about jack black. he'll get divorced someday, if that makes you feel any better. it is pretty obvious that you are supposed to be married to him.

Tara said...

What is that movie? You know, the movie with the slippery guys that fly around all the time?

Reem Tara said...

Dear Tara,

I am so glad you know my father this well and have such a good memory.

This movie was called The Matrix.

Thank you.